In keeping with our philosophy of how important it is to stay active, this week’s blog is taken from the government site, healthfinder.1 Together, all of us can make a difference by raising awareness on a national level to incorporate physical activity into our daily life.
Regular physical activity is good for everyone’s health, and people of all ages and body types can be physically active. National Physical Fitness and Sports Month is a great time to spread the word about the benefits of getting active.
Here are just a few benefits of physical activity:
- Children and adolescents – Physical activity can improve muscular fitness, bone health, and heart health.
- Adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Older adults – Physical activity can lower the risk of falls and improve cognitive functioning (like learning and judgment skills).
Communities, health professionals, and families can work together to create opportunities for everyone to get more physical activity. Make a difference–spread the word about fun ways to get moving!
How can National Physical Fitness and Sports Month make a difference?
We can use this month to raise awareness about the benefits of physical activity. Here are just a few ideas:
- Encourage families to make small changes, like taking a walk after dinner or going for a bike ride.
- Motivate teachers and administrators to make physical activity a part of every student’s day.
- Identify youth leaders in the community who can talk to their peers about the importance of being active.
How can I help spread the word?
- Add information about physical activity to your newsletter.
- Tweet about National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- Host a community event where families can be active and learn about more family-friendly fitness activities.
- Add this Web badge to your website, blog, or social networking profile.
At Live Your LifeTM, we can help you achieve your health and fitness goals! From dietary and coaching needs to having a personal trainer work with you directly to motivate and guide you on proper technique, our team is available to assist you.
Dr. Eva Norman
President & Founder
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Live Your LifeTM
Bringing Physical & Wellness to You!
1 May National Physical Fitness and Sport Month. https://healthfinder.gov/nho/maytoolkit.aspx. Accessed May 5, 2016.