With the upcoming July 4th holiday weekend, many of us will be heading out to watch a community fireworks display while many others will be setting up and using fireworks in their own backyards. Remember, fireworks are explosives and should be used responsibly to prevent injuries.
A person should always read and follow the directions on how to properly use the fireworks before attempting to ignite them. To promote and encourage safe usage with fireworks, we have included the following safety information.
Safety Tips from the National Council on Fireworks: 1
- Obey laws on the use of fireworks
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- An adult should always oversee firework activities
- Never give fireworks to children
- Fireworks and alcohol don’t mix
- Make sure to wear safety glasses when using and shooting off fireworks
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away
- Set off fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from vehicles and buildings
- Don’t relight a “dud” firework. (Wait 20 minutes, then soak in a water filled bucket)
- Be sure to have a bucket of water and a ready to spray water hose nearby
- Do not carry fireworks in a POCKET and don’t shoot them into glass or metal containers
- Don’t try out/test homemade fireworks
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down then place in a metal trash can (away from combustible materials and buildings)
Remember to check your local laws to make sure that fireworks are legal in your community and you will also need to be in compliance with federal regulations. For more information regarding fireworks usage, see fireworks fact sheet.2
At Live your LifeTM we provide a wide range of services to help keep individuals safe in their home. We offer physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, personal training, acupuncture, massage therapy, health coaching along with dietary services.
Live Your Life safely this holiday weekend!
Dr. Eva Norman
President & Founder
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Live Your Life TM
Bringing Physical Therapy & Wellness to You!
1 Recommended Safety Tips. http://www.fireworkssafety.org/safety-tips/ Accessed June 27, 2016.
2 Fireworks Publication #12. http://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/121339/012.pdf Accessed June 26, 2016.